Saturday, March 23, 2013

The 6th Wine Tasting (2012-04-13) - USA (California) - Cabernet Sauvignon (Red)

Tonight, I met some people from west coast. They asked me to pair wines for food. We went to a French restaurant, so I picked 4 bottles of European wines (including French wine). I didn't pick wines from California, so I was joking: "I know a French Chief's pride because I'm a chief." Anyway, we talked about the NAPA Valley tour, and and some west coast wines; as well this, the tasting note for California Cabernet Sauvignon.

 加州的Cabernet Sauvignon在新世界裡已經闖出了一片天空。有些人喝時候會說這果然是加州CS的味道,有些人會說加州的CS喝起來都差不多。雖然說CS的味道一部分取決於葡萄的成熟度,但還有很大一部分決定在釀造技術,還有釀造者的心。在這八瓶酒裡面,就有兩瓶,儘管過了一年我看到酒標,就可以想起來喝的時候的感動,是獨特的。我不需要完美的酒,而獨特的酒值得反覆品嘗。


NAPA Valley is so famous that everybody knew. However, NAPA Valley is one of the sub-region in California. There are enormous amount of wine producers squeeze in 10 degrees latitude of the blessed land. California is usually divided into 4 region: North Coast (NAPA Valey, Sonoma County, Lake County, etc.), Central CoastCentral Valley, and South Coast. These wineries produce nearly 90% of wines production in United States. The major grape varieties of California are Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.

Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the most well-known grape varieties in the world. It was recognized internally through Bordeaux wines. The grape spread out to New World and thrived in California(USA), Coonawarra(Australia), Maipo Valley(Chile), etc. The type of wine made from Cabernet Sauvignon are varied. It may depend on the ripeness of the grape or aging of the wine. Cabernet Sauvignon is able to age for long time, and the time it's aged add more complexity and new aromas to wines.


1. 2009 Shannon Ridge Vineyard (Lake County)
2. 2009 The Steven Kent Winery
5. 2008 Vineyard 29, Cru (St. Helena)
6. 2006 Silver Oak (Alexander Valley)
7. 2006 Emblem, Oso Vineyard (Napa Valley)
8. 2003 Arrowood (Sonoma Valley)

I lost my tasting notes; However, I still can remembered two of these 8 bottles. They are one of a kind.
Piña: This is a unique wine. you must drink it with patience. Naturally decanted for at least 40 min, and you can start to experience its alteration. A rich, full body wine with high tannin, however, it's so elegant and so balanced. It does not taste like any other Cabernet Sauvignon on the table.

Arrowood: This bottle opened the door of unfiltered wines to me. This wine aged its complexity and made it so charming. I was touched.

Also, I have to give credits to all other wines. They are decent and enjoyable. Losing my notes gives me another chance to taste these lovely wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment